When undergoing treatment by any sort of medical professional, be it a doctor, nurse or dentist, you have the right to expect a good standard of care. If a medical professional fails you in their duty of care and through this you suffer harm, either physical or emotional, this is grounds for a medical negligence claim.
David W Harris & Co are perfectly poised to help you establish whether you could claim compensation as well as calculate the amount you could potentially receive.
We’re also on hand to support you throughout the entire process, helping you to build the most robust case possible.
Our Medical negligence solicitors in Pontypridd are happy to help with the following types of claim, including but not limited to:
- Medical misdiagnosis
- Delayed diagnosis
- Dental mistakes
- Pregnancy and birth injuries
- Surgical negligence
- Nursing and care home abuse or injuries
- Cosmetic surgery injuries
- Botox injuries
- Pressure sores
- Medical advice negligence
Our solicitors are also able to offer specialist assistance for personal injury claims in Pontypridd.
David W Harris & Co operates on a no win, no fee funding basis. So in general, you won’t have any upfront fees or any financial risk when you begin a claim with us.
Why use David W Harris & Co. for your medical negligence claim in Pontypridd?
We believe that there are several reasons for instructing our medical negligence solicitors, such as:
- No win, no fee funding.
- Millions of pounds in compensation recovered for our clients over the last 35 years
- Our expertise is independently recognised:
- We cover the whole of South Wales with offices in Talbot Green and Swansea as well as Pontypridd – home visits can also be arranged where appropriate.
- Most medical negligence claims we handle are settled out of court, saving you time, legal costs and stress.
- We have a strong track record of securing maximum medical negligence compensation for our clients.
Find out more about our medical negligence claims expertise.
How our Pontypridd medical negligence compensation claims service works
Initial consultation to assess your claim
As part of our service, you will initially be able to consult with a member of our medical negligence solicitors in Pontypridd for free, providing you the time to have any important queries answered. Questions you might like to ask include:
- Whether you are likely to have grounds for a successful claim
- What level of compensation you might be owed
- How claims for medical negligence work
Once you have had your initial questions answered, you will then have everything you need to choose whether you would like to proceed with your claim. We will not apply any pressure on you during this period as we believe that it’s important for you to come to that decision on your own terms.
Proving medical negligence
Our team will expertly gather all of the evidence needed to build you a robust case, this will likely include:
- Your medical records
- Witness testimony
- Independent medical examinations to assess your condition
- Expert opinion on what care should have been provided and the likely outcome if this had been given
Valuing your claim
At David W Harris & Co, one of our most important jobs is to ensure that our clients receive the compensation that they are owed. The damages that we can work to establish come in two categories:
General damages – Often referred to as ‘PSLA’ – this covers any pain, suffering and ‘loss of amenity’. Essentially this means any reduction in quality of life and/or you losing your ability to do activities such as hobbies or interests that you previously enjoyed.
Special damages – This covered any financial losses that you have made as a result of your injuries. For example, if you’ve had to stop working or pay for specific treatments or equipment.
Calculating the amount that a medical negligence claim would provide is referred to as ‘assessing quantum of damages’ or ‘assessing quantum’.
Settling your claim out of court
Our Medical negligence solicitors in Pontypridd’s are well versed in resolving claims outside of the court system, which can often be a favourable route to try first. Doing this reduces stress for our clients and can also result in attaining compensation in a timelier fashion.
Court proceedings for medical negligence claims
Whilst court proceedings are often not needed to resolve most medical negligence claims, sometimes they are unavoidable. In this case, our experienced team will be there to support you and provide excellent representation. We will make sure that your case is prepared to the highest standard. Going through court proceedings can be nerve-wracking, but we will be behind you throughout the whole process.
Time limits for medical negligence claims
For medical negligence claims, there is normally a strict three year window from the date that you first became aware of the harm or suffering that you have endured due to clinical errors. However, there can be varying time limits depending on the circumstances, so we always recommend seeking legal counsel before deciding whether to make a claim or not.
Medical negligence time windows may vary in cases where:
- The claimant was under 18 when the negligence occurred – The claimant’s parents or guardian have until they turn 18 to make a claim. Following this the claimant has until their 21st birthday to make a claim themselves.
- The claimant lacks the mental capacity to make a claim themselves – In this case, there is no limit for someone to make a claim on the victim’s behalf.
- The claim relates to someone who has died due to medical negligence – The representative of their estate will normally have three years from the date of death to make a claim. Normally, the victim’s representative will have three years from the date that the claimant passed away to claim on their behalf.
Funding your medical negligence claim in Pontypridd
We understand our clients may be hesitant to pay for legal fees if they are unsure whether their claim will be successful, so our service provides no win, no fee medical negligence claims funding through conditional fee agreements (CFAs). This means that you won’t have to pay anything upfront to start a claim with us, and that you will only have to pay our fees if we are able to secure compensation on your behalf.
One of our team will be able to discuss any queries you have about fees and funding in your initial free consultation.
Book your free first consultation with our medical negligence solicitors in Pontypridd
If you would like to find out more about the medical negligence claims procedure works, or just want any questions answered, we offer a free initial consultation with no obligations to help you make an informed decision.